For some background information, please read:
Perhaps some of you are aware of the plight of the Rohingya minority as well as the recent military coup in early March over alleged election fraud, detaining the once-celebrated and current President Aung San Suu Kyi and killing over 700 people.
Please pray for:
- The people of Myanmar – God’s mercy over the people. Pray that there would be peace and safety in the midst of civil disobedience and potential civil war and for peace and protection for minority groups.
- The Church
- To persevere during this time and be a light in the midst of pain and suffering.
- To remember that their ultimate hope is their citizenship in heaven. As Christians fear the return of religious persecution with the military rule, pray that they may persevere and even thrive.
- To show love to their neighbors and their enemies, praying for those who persecute them.
- The ministries that we partner with have been struggling with the restrictions with COVID and now with the military unrest. They are under a lot of stress. Pray that they would be encouraged and strengthened in the midst of these struggles.
- The country would have a just and righteous governance for all the many different people groups in the nation.
At the end of February, Cambodia had their third but most serious outbreak of the corona virus and is now in lockdown. Despite it being Khmer New Year, typically the biggest holiday where most return to their hometown, everything has been shut down. Inter-province travel, dine-in, and sale of any alcohol have been banned. Fines for not wearing a mask and an 8pm to 5am curfew are being enforced.
The WHO is saying that we are on the verge of a national tragedy. COVID is hitting us hard. With hospitals reaching their full capacity, a convention center has been turned into an outdoor 5,000 bed hospital. Doctors from clinics, including Family Clinic (where teammate Mark Ambrose works), are being required to help out at COVID hospitals and centers, requiring mandatory vaccines.
In addition, the pandemic has had a severe impact on the economy, notably the tourism and garment sectors, with projections of a lasting increase in poverty, debt and unemployment.
Please pray for:
- The People – Pray for the health and protection of the people. Pray that people who observe the quarantine and adhere to restrictions and rules in order to help stop the spreading of the coronavirus.
- The Leaders – Pray for wisdom for the leaders of the government but also of organizations and the community to be able to direct and lead the people during this challenging time. Pray for wisdom and compassion to know how to handle the care of the COVID patients and distribution of the vaccine.
- The Church – Pray for compassion and wisdom to help those who are hurting and in need. Pray that the Church would be steadfast and creative in reaching out and loving the people in the Church but also our neighbors.